Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Art of Southern Comfort


www.regalsovereignjewelry.com
www.regalsovereign.etsy.com

It's that time of year again when the weather is getting cold. My little one has a cold and I can feel one coming on myself. There's nothing like a good pot of gumbo to keep us warm. Now, you have two ways to make it...from scratch or out the box. The Zataran's New Orleans Gumbo mix that is. Today was my first time making it from scratch. You have to keep your eyes on the roux at all times because if you aren't careful it can easily burn. All it takes is a 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup flour. Let the oil heat first then gradually add your flour and stir. Do not dump all the flour at once. The key words here are gradual and stir. Once the roux browns to an almost dark coffee color you'll want to add water so keep a cup handy. You can continue to add water and stir. Transfer your roux from the skillet into your pot. I would add a total of 4-5 cups of water because you want to be mindful of all the other ingredients you have to add. My gumbo consist of hot links, sausages, shrimp, crab meat, chicken, onion, red, yellow and green peppers. I sauteed the peppers, onion and sausages together and let my chicken boil in the roux. I sauteed a few shrimp and added some frozen ones in the pot. I put the crab meat in last as it does not have to cook long. Typically you can have crab legs and okra. I don't particularly like okra because it's too slimy to me. Whatever you choose to add it is completely up to you and your taste buds. Umm ummm ummmm there is nothing like a nice pot of gumbo to make me feel at home. Just how my mom taught me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment